Thursday, March 12, 2015

Terry Pratchett Dies - Another Source of Inspiration Vanishes Overnight

Another author I admire just passed away. Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series has left us at the age of 66 after battling Alzheimer's disease for 8 years. Tough to soldier on after this blow, but I'll keep plugging away.

I was just leafing through his series of books the other day thinking "Oh, he's relatively young yet. I might even get to meet him!" I had no idea he'd been battling nasty, debilitating illness. Alzheimer's is one nasty bugger too. He really faced it with resilience though, writing through it all and releasing his final book this last summer.

I'm going to miss the humor. The finely crafting sentences and laugh out loud moments kept me entertained for a long time. the very least, there is a large volume of work to review and enjoy. Just tears me up that it's ended, all too soon in my opinion. But then, we really don't have a Use By date stamped on our forehead. Every moment we have on this world is precious and should be used to the fullest. Our expiration date is a mystery to most of us.

So, will I let this devastating blow to my personal little world of inspiration get me down? Maybe a little, but it's not going to keep me down. Where Terry Pratchett inspired millions of readers, I too shall endeavor to do the same! OK, my goal may be a few thousand; I'd be awfully lucky to pass the million mark. I'd still like to believe his legacy will live on in what I can write and in how I can entertain my readers. There's a little bit of Terry Pratchett in all of us. I hope we can all strive to pass it on and make the world a better place.

I wish the best for Terry's family in this time of loss. My heart goes out to you all.

Regards,
Artemus

No comments:

Post a Comment